Saturday, August 14, 2010

To be in somebody's shoes

I was once in a pub in part of England called Hereford. I did a lot of work in the town and new the local people quite well. A guy came into the pub who was a kind of homeless hippy who was one step away from being a hardcore tramp. He started bothering people a little bit but was quite harmless. I said I'd take him into the pool room, buy him a drink and keep him occupied. As we played he said -

'These shoes are killing me; they're not mine!

The irony being that it's the sort of thing you might say as a joke but in his case was true as he would have got them out of a bin.

Well, to get to the point, the idea of being in someone's shoes is about seeing something from the other person's perspective.

We can use phrases like:

If I was in your shoes or walk a mile in my shoes.

I've decided to have a proper attempt at learning Polish and came across an interesting video on Youtube. It's in Polish but with English subtitles so today, it's a bit different.

I thought it looked like a worthwhile project and might be of interest to some of you.

It's a good example of seeing how life looks in someone else's shoes.